Why is access to the bootleg section
- The entire information has been freely available from 1994 until
- By that time, the popularity reached unbelievable regions,
resulting in extremely high traffic.
- Although I had long installed a mirror server to split traffic, I
was to pay additional money for the traffic to my internet hosts.
- Information from my site was being abused (in various ways). I had
to put an end to this.
- Material from my site was stolen and re-published on other sites.
Restricted access would limit this theft.
- People who came via search engines, and first-time visitors, could
easily think my site was a catalog of a vendor, which it is not.
- I have been putting my entire spare time into this site and the
resulting e-mail traffic. We're talking about over 5000 hours here. Since I work fulltime
in my professional job, and I have all the work and the costs in keeping up this site
(internet in Germany is still paid by the minute!), some financial contribution from the
members seems appropriate.
Since access was restricted to members
- the general quality of the site has been largely improved
- more additions have been made (why don't you check the What's New ? pages to get an idea?)
- contributions by members have increased
- quality of contributions has largely increased
- My motivation to continue this site has risen (since I receive
fewer stupid or annoying emails, and since I'm able to pay off my internet bills now)
PREVIEW area available now
©1998-2000 Harald Gernhardt. All